Saturday, November 28, 2009

Eat, Pump, Feed




Today marked a very strong turning point for Dylan (and us). First, he was moved to a pretty, open crib and is now dressed daily in stylish outfits! But even more momentous, Brad and I were finally able to get Dylan to feed with us as well as he has fed with the nurses.

It was a little frustrating for the past few days to hear that Dylan had taken so many cc's in so (relatively) few minutes with each nurse...and then when we'd get there, he'd lazily hold the bottle in his mouth and go to sleep. I suppose I should be happy he's so relaxed with us, but we ain't gettin' outta Florida like that.

So today, we decided to stop listening to every single nurse's individual piece of advice, and start doing what feels right to us - easier said than done. When you have no idea what the hell you're doing with a baby - much less a newborn - and even much less a preemie...well, that's a scary notion.

But on that note, there's been no better place to learn what to do with your baby than a NICU, let me tell you! I already know so much more than I ever did - and you should see Brad work a diaper now - wow.

Meanwhile, in the adventures of pumping, I've discovered something frightening and seemingly impossible. I am hungrier now than ever before. The breast pump is challenging my metabolism to a wrestling match in my stomach, and it's wearing me out. This is why you have to keep taking vitamins after the delivery - otherwise, you'd die.

It goes something like this every day:

-Pump at 7am
-Go back to sleep
-Pump whenever I wake up next
-Eat breakfast
-Go to the hospital (realize I should have eaten breakfast again)
-Pump
-I'm starving
-Eat a man-sized meal
-Pump
-Leave the hospital
-I'm hungry, eat again
-It's dinner, time to eat like a man again
-Go back to the hospital
-Pump
-Bedtime snack
-Repeat

Wish Dylan, me and our household budget luck with all the feeding.